Tuesday, July 19, 2016

A Seizure Detection Service Dog


I've mention before that I've thought about somehow getting a Service Dog for Morgan. The idea was planted in my head by our beautiful dog, Molly. She detected one of Morgan's seizures once. She began acting strange one night after I put Morgan to bed. Molly lay motionless in the middle of the hall, refusing to move, while boring holes into me with her stare. Two thoughts occurred to me at that moment: That Morgan was going to have a seizure and that at the time, I wasn't alone in monitoring Morgan. Molly is NOT and service dog and while I encourage her abilities, I have no idea how to even begin to train Molly to detect seizures all the time. Also, Molly is getting older and I don't think she would be very receptive to new and intense training.

That started this journey, this quest, to get Morgan a Service Dog.

I've spent a great deal of time and effort researching organizations which provide service dogs for people with disabilities and I found that all of them are a little different. Many do not provide service dogs for kids and the few that do have extraordinary waiting lists. During this research, I discovered 4 Paws for Ability. They provide Service Dogs trained for each child's specific needs. Including, Seizure Detecting Service Dogs.

I knew I'd found the organization I wanted to work with.


I began the application process and now, after months of work, I can see the end result. The help that we so need for Morgan.  Her application was a approved and we've started the fundraising process. It is my hope that we can raise enough money to make this happen. 

https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/rebecca-marcario/morgansdog

No comments:

Post a Comment