Saturday, February 27, 2016

Living With A Child With Idic 15 Also Known As Dup15q in Photos

With Rare Disease Day just around the corner, I wanted to share a little of what it's like living with a child with Idic 15/Dup15q Syndrome using photos.

Sometimes the easiest way to describe something is with a photo. I could write this ridiculously lengthy description of our day-to-day life, but I can't imagine anyone, including myself, who would want to read it. But I do want to somehow describe what it's like to live with a child with a rare condition.

I don't share these photos to gain pity. I really don't want anyone's pity. I don't share these photos to show how hard and horrible our life is, because our life is quite the opposite. It's filled with love and wonder and an appreciation for all things irreplaceable, such as family and friends. We laugh and smile everyday just like anyone else. We just have a few more... challenges, than the typical family.

So I share these photos to help others gain an idea of what it may be like to be in our shoes. To live with the "challenges"  we face, and most importantly, to gain awareness of such rare conditions as Idic 15 Syndrome.

3rd Echocardiogram

4th or 5th EKG. Can't Remember

Brain MRI

Fighting Infantile Spasms

Research

Always watching her video baby monitor

To help her anxiety in busy public places

Helping her learn how to hold her bottle by giving her something to feel

Hospital stay. fighting a stomach thing

Physical Therapy

More research

She's just cute

Exploring, listening but not looking

Tired girl and Mom

Beautiful day at the park

5th EEG

More research

Emergency seizure med

More seizure meds

She likes to cross her fingers, don't know why

ALWAYS paying attention to her lungs, I listen to her most nights

Out of all of those photos, these are the only ones that matter

Happy 




































3 comments:

  1. Like this a lot. I remember the finger crossing! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're right there with you!!!! Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our "duper" also does the finger crossing. I think it helps ground her, give her sense of stability. Just one of the many little things she does that re-define cuteness. Thanks for your post. Stay strong for the tough moments and savor and enjoy the good moments:)

    ReplyDelete