Monday, December 28, 2015

A Lot of Changes

There has been a lot going on in the last couple months that it has taken me a while to sit down and write about it.

Too busy living it I suppose. Between Kyle going to school, Morgan and her many activities and work, seems life is moving very fast with little time for reflection. The biggest changes are because Morgan is growing. She is getting bigger and stronger and more lovely every day.

Kyle is slowly getting used to school and following the rules-something the little stubborn man struggles with-and learning how to read and write, etc. He loves school but also loves deciding what he will do and when. This doesn't go over well with the teacher and we have many conversations between Kyle's teacher, Kyle and myself. Every day I drop Kyle off at school, I cross my fingers and repeat over and over under my breath, "please behave in school, please behave in school." Sometimes he decides he will conform for the day and others he doesn't. Sigh... At least he is learning a lot and has made a lot of friends.

Morgan is growing and at her last checkup it came to my attention that she has officially grown out of her infant car seat. She's too long. I knew that it was coming. That soon we would have to figure out a way to get Morgan around. She's not walking yet and needs support while sitting up. This is why the infant car seat was so nice. It gave her the support she needed while giving me a way to take her places without having to hold her the whole time. I've had to figure something out.

I created a support for her so that she has some assistance while sitting in a shopping cart. This has allowed me to do the grocery shopping with her. I've had to keep the trips rather short as Morgan gets tired but so far it has worked.

And Morgan now has a wheelchair! It looks more like a stroller but it serves the purpose of giving her the proper support while we are out and about. Her Physical Therapist brought it for her and we can hang on to it until we don't need it anymore.

All of this has been a big adjustment. All for the best, but still a huge adjustment.

Being out with her now invites stares and puzzled looks rather than the accustomed "oh, your baby is so cute!" which we always got when she was sitting in her car seat. Now mostly people look at her and wonder what's going on. I knew this would be a part of day-to-day life but still it takes a little getting used to.

Now I drive around with a handicapped license plate which a use whenever I'm with her and I must admit at times I feel a little conspicuous. But as time goes on, this will also become my normal.

Both kids are thriving right now and even though Morgan has been sick consistently with short breaks in between, she's tolerating being sick well and making good progress. It's fun to watch her play and smile. Kyle loves school and is happy. And that's all that matters. 

1 comment:

  1. When my kids were small, I used to bring the booster seat from our dining room and buckle it into the cart and then buckle the kids into the seat. Your support is really innovative!

    ReplyDelete