Monday, April 6, 2015

Birthday Girl!

One year ago today, we welcomed into this world an extraordinary little girl. She has proved to us time and again how strong and determined she is.

I woke up at 5:00 am this morning to her making some soft noises. For those who are familiar with her story, you know this could easily mean that she was having seizures. I looked at her video baby monitor, and didn't quite understand what I was seeing. Not a seizure, she was playing! She was wide awake, kicking and wiggling and making soft cooing noises at her mobile above her.

It brought a smile to my face. I got up to see her and she greeted me with some little noises and more wiggles of excitement. I can't help but think of the day she was born. How scary it all was. And here she is, smiling and being cute. Then I realized, it was exactly 5:00 am when the nurse finally wheeled me in to see her for the first time one year ago today. She was born shortly after midnight, but it took a while to do the procedures that would allow her lungs to expand.

Odd. And kind of cool. So, I sat there with her for a while this morning, thinking on the many terrifying moments of this journey and how maybe, somehow, everything will be alright. I feel a great deal of hope for the future. I think she is doing a good job of teaching me how to cherish each moment and to be strong regardless of the news or situation. How fragile we all are.


Happy birthday my dear Morgan, my little miracle baby. 



No comments:

Post a Comment